Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Perfect Meal - Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner

Entrance to the Hana lava tubes.

On a recent trip to visit family in Maui I discovered a new flavor sensation. After visiting the lava tubes the family and I were wickedly hungry with only day old poke in the cooler that had turned a less than pleasant shade of gray we set a course for the Hana Market. The snack food selection there was 1/2 standard fare and 1/2 island style. Among the bags of cheesey poofs and potato chips I saw a bag of furikake flavored puffs. Not knowing what Furikake was but liking the sound of it and seeing that the ingredients list was fairly short and included nori and sesame I went for it. The name alone, yes we're a mature lot, was enough to entertain the troops for some of our long drive home and the flavor was new and fascinating.
 
Furikake is a Japanese condiment that is so flavorful it will make your taste buds do an umami cartwheel. You can buy ready made furikake at an Asian market. It typically consisits of a mixture of seaweed, sesame seeds, fish flakes and sometimes sugar and msg.  Make your own and add only what you like. It truly is a versatile condiment. So far I've tried it on salad, popcorn, and  as an addition to my favorite breakfast recipe and it is officially yummy.




For the most basic furikake combo just toast up some sesame seed,




Chop up some toasted salted nori and mix. In this photo, I chopped the nori in my blender but I find it works better to use kitchen shears. I went heavy on the seed to nori ratio. For an extra flavor punch stir in some bonito fish flakes.

This my favorite breakfast but it would work well for a quick and easy meal any time of day. It's super nutritious, filling and tasty!



Step One

Make a perfect pot of quinoa.

For the best consistency and flavor I soak 1 cup of quinoa over night in a pot of warm water. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Add 1 1/4 cups water and cook over low heat until all of the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes.

Step Two

Top your quinoa with your furikake, tamari and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.

Step Three

Poach an egg.  Add some pepper and enjoy! If you leave the yolk slightly runny it makes a perfect saucy combo. Mine was a bit overcooked in the photo.



No comments:

Post a Comment